The PMAY is a central government housing scheme that aims to provide permanent housing units for all citizens. Read on to know more about the steps involved in applying for a PMAY online and offline.
In 2015, the central government of India announced a flagship affordable housing scheme known as the ‘Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana’ to provide a permanent housing unit to all citizens. The scheme, which is mainly meant for the benefit of the citizens form the low and middle-income groups, encourages them to become a homeowner. But, to become a homeowner, you must meet specific eligibility requirements and follow the application process correctly. Here is a step by step guide to apply for PMAY.
Steps to apply for PMAY offline
Before you initiate the registration process for the PMAY, make sure that you meet the eligibility requirement, and if you meet the eligibility criteria, follow the below steps:
- To avail the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana benefits, you must visit any authorized financial organization and fill the home loan application form and submit the relevant KYC documents.
- Once the lender authorizes the loan amount, the next step is to fill the PMAY scheme form.
- After you get the loan approved from the lender, you can select the property and register for the scheme.
Steps to apply for PMAY online
Applying for the PMAY benefits online is easy and straightforward. You must follow the below steps:
- To start the online application process, visit the official PMAY website.
- Click on the ‘citizen assessment’ tab on the top of the menu bar and choose the appropriate options under it – ‘slum dwellers’ and ‘Benefit under other 3 components’ as applicable to you.
- When you choose either of the two options, you would be prompted to enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and your personal details (as mentioned on the card). Make sure that you have your Aadhaar card handy while applying the scheme.
- Next, when you enter the necessary details, you would be redirected to the scheme application page. Here you must enter your personal information like name, address, bank account details, income details, etc.
- Once you enter the necessary information, make sure that you carefully review it again before submitting the application as the input you provide will determine your eligibility for the scheme.
- When you click on the submit button, the system will prompt you to confirm the details entered. Once you confirm your details will be saved in the system.
- Next, after the information is saved, the system will generate your application number. You must take note of the number and preserve it as it would help you keep track of the application status.
- It would help if you took a printout of the application form.
- Lastly, you must submit the form at any of the Common Service Centres in your locality. Alternatively, you can also submit the form at any of the nationalised bank or any housing finance company authorised by the government to offer this service. You must submit the form along with the necessary documents (as listed in the form). It is an excellent practice to keep photocopies of the application form and the documents submitted for future reference.
The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is one of the critical initiatives of the governments aimed towards the development of the urban poor. Under the scheme, the government seeks to eradicate the slums and provide the slum residents with pucca housing units. Additionally, the eligible beneficiaries can apply for a home loan and get subsidy on the interest rate.